Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flu and Flu Shots

Hey, I got my flu shot today! Tina (one of Trestlewood's nurses) gave it to me in my left arm about an hour and a half ago. I feel fine. I could hardly tell the needle went in, and my arm doesn't hurt a bit. I don't ache, I don't have a fever, I didn't catch flu from the vaccine, and I am so happy to be protected from this season's flu viruses. I am sure to be exposed to them many times this year.

My girls had their flu vaccines on Sunday, just two days ago. They prefer the FluMist (a flu vaccine that is given via drops squirted in the nose). My husband will probably drop by my office soon and surprise one of Trestlewood's nurses to get his vaccine. Everyone in my family gets a flu vaccine every year. We started this tradition after my oldest got the flu in first grade. It was quickly followed by pneumonia, and then in her weakened state, strep throat. It was awful, and I never wanted a child of mine to go through that again. Unfortunately, my middle daughter had the flu a few years ago. She was coughing, had fevers upwards of 104, and was utterly miserable for a week.

I also take flu shots to Indiana to give to my parents and my mother-in-law. I think giving out flu shots each year is one of the biggest contributions I can make to the health of my community and my loved ones. The other big impact I have on public and individual preventive health is the rest of the recommended childhood vaccines--but that's for another blog.

Flu, at least the flu we vaccinate for, is NOT the stomach flu! I am told daily how this or that family had "the flu" last week, or last month, or last year. Or how they never get "the flu." Or, how the flu vaccine didn't work for them because they still got "the flu." When pressed for details it is clear that most people mean gastroenteritis when they say "the flu." Gastroenteritis is an illness that is very contagious, lasts a day or two, and involves vomiting and diarrhea. The flu I am talking about is influenza, a RESPIRATORY illness.

The symptoms of influenza are fever, severe muscle aches, coughing, sore throat, runny nose, extreme fatigue, chills, with occasionally some stomach symptoms. It lasts for about a week. It is also very contagious. Flu weakens and can kill its victims, especially those who are already debilitated. It can lead to complications, such as pneumonia. At the very least it is a miserable week to spend in bed with a box of tissues, cough drops, and other cough/cold/anti-fever medicines.

Flu vaccine is recommended yearly for everyone who is six months or older who does not have an allergy or other contraindication to the vaccine. While it is especially important for people with chronic illnesses such as asthma or diabetes, it is recommended for all of us. We can all benefit from a yearly flu vaccine.

Have you and your children had your yearly seasonal flu vaccine? Get yours as soon as you can!

The following are some links to reliable information about the flu and flu vaccine. This year's vaccine includes the H1N1 subtype, so a separate shot for that one isn't necessary. Children under age nine who are getting the flu vaccine for the first time, or who have not had at least two previous seasonal flu vaccines plus one of last year's H1N1 vaccines, will need two doses of flu vaccine spaced one month apart to be completely immunized.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/tips-tools/Symptom-Checker/Pages/Influenza.aspx

Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" PersonalPediatrician on Facebook!

2 comments:

Rose said...

I got my flu shot today too!!

Anna said...

I am vaccinated for the flu!

Post a Comment